<< back to the main blog page
Tips To Maintain Good Eye Health
Along with routine check ups at your eye doctor, there are several things you can do to maintain good eye health. It's important that we practice good habits besides routine eye exams. WebMD has shared their six tips for eye health and we wanted to pass them along.
1. Eat for Good Vision - Protecting your eyes starts with the food on your plate. Nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E might help ward off age-related vision problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts, studies show.
2. Quit Smoking - Smoking makes you more likely to get cataracts, optic nerve damage, and macular degeneration. If you've tried to quit smoking before and started smoking again, keep trying. The more times you try to quit smoking, the more likely you are to succeed.
3. Wear Sunglasses - Choose sunglasses that block 99% to 100% of both UVA and UVB rays. Wraparound lenses help protect your eyes from the side. Polarized lenses reduce glare when driving.
4. Use Safety Eyewear - If you work with hazardous or airborne materials on the job or at home, wear safety glasses or protective goggles every time.
5. Look Away From the Computer Screen - Every 20 minutes, rest your eyes by looking 20 feet away for 20 seconds. At least every 2 hours, get up and take a 15-minute break.
6. Visit Your Eye Doctor Regularly - Everyone, even young children, should get their eyes examined regularly. It helps you protect your sight and see your best. Eye exams can also find some eye diseases, such as glaucoma, that have no symptoms. It's important to find these diseases early on, when they're easier to treat.
For more information on how you can maintain your eye health, you can read the full article here: http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/good-eyesight
If you have any more questions, the team at Gordy EyeCare
is here to help. Contact our office today and let's talk!
image credit: Jessica Lucia on flickr
Monday, February 02, 2015 written by Gordy EyeCare Team
, Best Eye Doctor
, Dr. Griff Gordy
, Eye Doctor
, Eye Health
, Gordy EyeCare
, Griff Gordy
, Phenix City
, Smiths Station
, Tips for eye health